The log of my #100DaysOfCode challenge. Started on August 5, 2019.


The main rule: Code minimum an hour every day for the next 100 days.

10/8 - Update: I’m coming to terms that I can’t dedicate an hour every day to this project. (There’s been big projects at work lately!) Even though I’m not spending an hour a day on this, I do want to continue making updates as I make them. 😌

Learn more about the main rules, as well as some other considerations.

  • Code for minimum an hour a day
  • Tweet your progress daily with the hashtag: #100DaysOfCode
  • Each day, reach out to at least two people on Twitter who are also doing the challenge


Days 1-10:

Days 11-20:

I’ve finished reading: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. I’m currently working on Dare to Lead by Brené Brown.

  • Day 011:
    • Today, I pulled the latitude & longitude out of the mapped_location column into their own columns. This took quite a bit of work since I’m unfamiliar with some of PHP’s syntax & there were some regex(s) involved.
    • I’m really happy that these values have been pulled out. This can allow me to possibly use an API service to pass in the lat/long in the future to return zip codes, which many of the locations are missing!
    • Project Repo - Community Resources
  • Day 012:
  • Day 013:
    • The phone_number column is a string of multiple numbers. I noticed that each crisis number started with the word ‘crisis’. For example: "(615) 555-5555 (crisis: (615) 555-5555)".
    • Continuing in service, I wanted to pull out the crisis phone number into their own column. That way, I can visually style these numbers differently in the front end. To do this, I used a regex to look for the word ‘crisis’, then grabbed everything after.
    • Instead of having to constantly googling regexes, I started working through FCC’s section on regexes to start building a foundation.
    • Project Repo - Community Resources
  • Day 014:
    • The phone_number column no longer contains the crisis number. It’s been pulled out to its own column. (See Day 013).
    • Created a Project README. It needs to be verified, but it’s a good start.
    • Project Repo - Community Resources